TBD (1), Dr. Junaid Kalia (2)
1 - Place affiliation here
2 - Founder, AINeuroCare
IntroductionNutritional concerns Dietary Modifications:Nutritional AssessmentsManagementSupplements:
- Neurodegenerative diseases are a group of disease that involve chronic and progressive degeneration of the neurons resulting in motor and sensory deficits6
- Various studies have shown that genetics, inflammatory processes and neurodegenerative process may be involved in the nutritional outcome
- Medical nutrition and supplements may aid to prevent the risk of developing as well as slowing the progression of neurodegenerative diseases along with pharmacological approach
- Western diet has been attributed to the progression of Alzheimer's disease
- Weight loss
- Dysphagia, Oropharyngeal involvement
- Vitamin deficiencies
The role of a balanced and healthy diet is vital to prevent as well as delay the progress of neurodegenerative disease
- MIND diet
- Plant based
Diet low in protein can improve the “on & off” phenomenon in Parkinson’s
- Barium swallow study, Water swallow test, volume-viscosity swallow test
- Vitamin D hydroxy
- Vitamin B12
- Folic acid
- Vitamin supplements
Low Vitamin D levels have been associated with development of Parkinson's disease.
Levodopa can decrease the levels of Vitamin B12
ESPEN guideline of clinical nutrition (2018) suggests adding Vitamin D, Folic acid and Vitamin B12 for Parkinson's disease
This is of some benefit in Parkinson’s disease
- Omega -3 and -6
Supplementation of Omerga-6 has shown some benefit to prevent relapse of Multiple Sclerosis
A study done in 2008 established that supplementation with Acetyl-L-carnitine has the potential to improve cognitive outcome in Alzheimer's . Various studies have been done and a dose of 2-3 g/day has been suggested to improve ADL’s (Activities of daily life) in Alzheimer’s.
In case of swallowing difficulties, use mechanical soft diet. PEG tubing if unable to swallow.
Eat diet rich in polyunsaturated fatty diet
TPN (total parenteral nutrition) if needed
Take levodopa/Carbidopa at least 30 minutes before meal
Kepka A, Ochocinska A, Borzym-Kluczyk M, Skorupa E, Stasiewicz-Jarocka B, Chojnowska S, Waszkiewicz N. Preventive Role of L-Carnitine and Balanced Diet in Alzheimer's Disease. Nutrients. 2020 Jul 3;12(7):1987. doi: 10.3390/nu12071987. PMID: 32635400; PMCID: PMC7400709.